Alexa, offered by world giant Amazon, is the most popular smart virtual assistant in the world. Voice commands make the entire home controllable with smart home systems compatible with Amazon Alexa, a cloud-based system. But Alexa is capable of much more. So what is Amazon Alexa?
In this article, we will try to answer the question “What is Amazon Alexa?” in detail when talking about the features, usage areas, and how Amazon Alexa can be used.
What Is Amazon Alexa?
Amazon Alexa is a voice-controlled, interactive virtual assistant. Thanks to Amazon’s Echo speakers, smart thermostats, soundbars, lamps, and lights, and directly through the Alexa app, you can control, program, and operate all the devices connected to the system remotely.
Features of Amazon Alexa
Amazon Alexa can command all devices it is connected to with the cloud connection. Alexa can start a song, turn on the robot vacuum cleaner, research something from Google with the voice command system. Here are some examples of things you can do using the Alexa voice command system:
- Playing media: Alexa can connect to music apps like Amazon Music or Spotify, which provide voice access to millions of songs. Voice commands can direct Alexa to play a certain song, artist, playlist, or genre. If the house has multiple smart speakers, Alexa’s multi-room music feature allows you to play different music in each room with a speaker. Alexa is also capable of playing radio stations, podcasts, and audiobooks.
- Communication: One of the very amazing features of Alexa is that it can be used to communicate with other people, even if you don’t have an Alexa device. You can have Alexa send SMS and make calls by voice command. You can even start a video conversation if there is also Alexa at the other end.
- Shopping: Alexa’s inability to shop is unthinkable, as Amazon is a shopping site above all else. Alexa can shop via voice command from Amazon.
- Getting assistance at home: One of the most important features of Amazon Alexa is that it manages everyday life. Alexa can get reminder commands. When the time comes, Alexa will remind you. For example, if you tell Alexa, “I’m going to get up at 8:00 a.m.”, it will set the alarm for 8:00 a.m.
- Getting news and information: Alexa uses the Google database and is up to date on all current and old news. Alexa also researches and responds to any question quickly. With Alexa, you can be informed about the news of the day every morning in seconds.
- Access skills: The Alexa system is now not only supported by Amazon, but it can also integrate with many different applications. In this system, called Alexa skills, Alexa can also perform the command by connecting to various applications such as Uber. Thanks to this feature, Alexa’s functions are much wider.
- Home automation: Alexa is knowledgeable about smart homes. That’s why it provides control over many different home automation products, such as lights, thermostats, baby monitors, security cameras, and door locks.
- Fun: Amazon Alexa‘s easy access to news and weather, to-do lists and reminders, management solutions for smart home systems may make the system look like an extremely serious assistant, but Alexa has a fun side. Alexa can be a pretty amusing technology, although it’s not much mentioned. It can make jokes, change its voice according to your mode, or give funny answers to funny questions.
Alexa needs certain technologies to meet all these features. For example, the system becomes highly functional with Amazon Echo speakers. It is also not available by phone without a complementary app available in the Apple App Store, Google Play Store, and Amazon Appstore. Here’s what Amazon Alexa can do with its phone-installed app:
- Pairing Alexa with compatible devices
- Pairing the calendar or music app used with Alexa
- Preparing alarms, reminders, and plans
- Viewing skills and enabling new ones
- Bulk controlling group speakers and smart home devices for multi-room audio
How to Use Amazon Alexa
Amazon Alexa is an easy-to-use assistant with a smart speaker. In order to use Alexa-powered devices, it is necessary to activate Alexa by calling it. The default wake-up word is “Alexa”, but a custom Alexa wake-up command can be created on-demand in the Alexa app.
After waking Alexa, the desired command is given and Alexa is expected to answer. For example, if you say “Alexa, tell me what the weather is like”, Alexa will tell you the daily weather forecast of your location.
Using Amazon Alexa on smartphones may not perform as efficiently as on smart speakers. The smartphone app only supports wake-up words when the Alexa app is on and running. However, with a smart speaker, Alexa can be activated by voice command even when turned off. To use Alexa on any other device, such as a smart camera, it is necessary to follow the same path. A wake-up word or an on/off button, if any, is used to get the device’s attention. Smart speakers are always the most effective way to use Amazon Alexa.
Amazon Alexa hears and records everything during the day. This may lead to terrible consequences in a situation where data security is compromised. However, all records can be deleted at the end of the day or at any time.
What Is Voice Command System?
Smart home technology refers to a set of devices or systems that connect to a public network and can be independently controlled via remote control or a voice command system. For example, you can use the voice command system to control the thermostat, speakers, TVs, lighting, security locks, and other electronic devices in the home by connecting them to the smart home network.
Voice commands are carried out by smart assistants such as Amazon Alexa. The voice command system, which makes life so much easier, is gaining popularity in home automation systems. People use voice command systems as a practical way to play music, get weather reports, and much more without having to use their smartphones thanks to the smart speakers.